When it comes to crafting with vinyl, the best cutting mat to use is the GREEN Standard Grip mat. The blue LightGrip mat is also suitable, but it will wear out faster if you keep using it for vinyl. For example, if you are working with thin printer paper, you should pair it with the mat that has the least grip: the blue LightGrip mat. It's important to note that the
Cricut Joycan cut intelligent materials without needing a mat.
The green StandardGrip mat and the blue LightGrip mat are both designed to fit the small Cricut Joy cutter. These mats are ideal for materials such as tissue paper, lightweight cardboard, printed paper, construction paper and vellum. If you are using lightweight materials like these, you should opt for the blue Cricut mat, as any material stronger than that can tear when you try to remove it from the mat. It's helpful to remember that each of the Cricut mats gives clues in its name about how strong the adhesive on that mat is or what it is intended to be used for.
If you're an avid crafter who likes to experiment with a variety of materials, then the StrongGrip mat is an ideal companion for your Cricut Maker knife blade. The pink FabricGrip mat has been specifically designed to allow those who have a Cricut Maker to cut even the thinnest materials without needing a fabric stabilizer. However, you should not use the LightGrip mat with thicker materials, as it can slip and you won't get the perfect cuts you're looking for and it can even jam your Cricut machine. When starting a new craft project, one of the questions that often arises is which color of Cricut rug is best suited for your project.
To help answer this question, here is a breakdown of the five main types of Cricut mats on the market and a suggestion of which types of material should be cut on each of them:
- Green StandardGrip Mat: This mat is best suited for materials such as tissue paper, lightweight cardboard, printed paper, construction paper and vellum.
- Blue LightGrip Mat: This mat is best suited for thin printer paper.
- Pink FabricGrip Mat: This mat has been specifically designed to allow those who have a Cricut Maker to cut even the thinnest materials without needing a fabric stabilizer.
- StrongGrip Mat: This mat is an ideal companion for your Cricut Maker knife blade.
- LightGrip Mat: This mat should not be used with thicker materials as it can slip and cause imperfect cuts or even jam your Cricut machine.